ICT Access for Women and Girls in Nigeria Coalition came out of the need to improve access and availability of ICT tools and opportunities for women and girls in schools and communities.
It is a platform for individuals, NGOs, private companies, academic institutions, policymakers and government to come together and use their expertise in addressing the growing digital gender gap, influence decisions, policies and conversations, and create concrete actions that will encourage the full participation and inclusion of women and girls in today’s technologies.
It is a local initiative to promote digital inclusion and achieve equitable ICT access for women and girls in schools and communities. We will work with other groups and coalitions on specific issues and how technology can be used to address issues facing women and girls in today’s Nigeria. Importantly, we will establish working groups at the national, state and local levels to monitor and promote ICT access and create opportunities for women and girls in digital space.
ICT access for women is beneficial and greater access to ICTs enables women to access more information, acquire new skills, learn from the experience of others, and find solutions to their problems and development challenges, at both the individual and community levels.
To promote full participation and inclusion of women and girls in ICT for personal development, economic growth and political involvement.
1. To improve and build capacity of women and girls using ICT tools.
2. To encourage full participation and digital inclusion for women and girls in schools and communities.
3. To build the advocacy capacity of members to promote ICT access for women and girls in Nigeria.
4. To promote opportunities in digital space for women and girls that will facilitate personal development, economic growth, social interaction, political participation and professional values.
5. To promote digital literacy and confidence in empowering women and girls with right skills and facilitate programs that attracts this population to develop their careers in ICT business and STEM.
6. To support the creation and the development of online content that is relevant to women and girls, and especially content developed by women and girls.
7. To promote the use of local and indigenous content that communities hold and share it online and via other means of communication